Saturday, January 30, 2021

“Give and it shall be given to you” - Jesus

During the weeks after my husband, Scott, was in the hospital, in addition to overwhelming and new lifestyle and medical decisions, I started having to make significant financial decisions for our family’s future.

When we left the hospital in Dallas, would we go back to our home in Boerne? We had just signed our second one-year lease. It did not seem practical that his powerchair living would work in that space, and I also did not know what type of support system we would have if we stayed there instead of moving closer to Scott’s family living in the DFW area.

What would I do with our extra vehicle? Scott clearly was not able to drive, and it did not seem like he would be driving anytime soon.

How were we going to pay our present bills? I was having to return a few thousand dollar deposits he had received in advance to do his contract work. Though it stirred moments of financial fear, I knew it was the right thing to do. Scott was not going to be able to complete his part of the contract, to design and deliver marching band drill design shows on time; the “show had to go on” for these programs and schools.

How were we going to pay our future bills? We had our life insurance policies, but we had recently canceled his disability insurance policy thinking the chances of him becoming disabled were so slim and it was more important for us to use those monies to save for our dream to buy our next house in cash. I remember us saying that we believed the church, the body of Christ, would step in to help if something happened.

With no end to his injuries in sight, I was starting to have the realization that our primary income earner was no longer making income, and that our back up plan (me), was not physically able to manage taking care of our three small children, his medical and physical needs, and try to earn enough income from my not yet profitable business that was already in motion.

Ev-er-ything felt shattered and out of my control. I literally was forced to live in the present moments of what I believed to be the best decisions for only those moments; there were no luxuries of long-term planning anymore.

And so, one by one, I did my best to try to make these monumental decisions in the small moments of our chaotic days. And one outcome at a time, I started to see God’s Word as living and working in our everyday lives; not just stories to know and believe; but Words to trust and live by.

For us, it was becoming dependable,

      and with that dependability,

              came more predictability;

                       and in that predictability,

                                 came more stability.

* * *

One decision that needed to be made was to sell one of our vehicles. An opportunity came up to sell our Honda Odyssey van.


A friend called and told me about a mother who needed transportation for herself and her four children. There was a benevolent charity group who was working to help them. They wanted to know how much I would sell our van for.

I looked up the van’s value and priced it to sell for a fair price of $2200.00. This cash would have provided a sense of comfort of us moving in the right financial direction for me. I had just seen our recently built-up savings account get completely wiped out.

When my friend came back to me and told me the mother could not afford the van, but that the benevolent group would purchase our van for her, I asked questions.

It angered my spirit when I found out that the organization was going to purchase our van and then allow her to make payments, with interest, to own it herself! I did not want someone else to go into debt on our behalf to gain what we needed.

So, I told them I needed to confirm it with Scott, but that we would just prefer to give her the van for free.

As soon as I asked Scott, while he was lying flat in his hospital bed, and with labored breathing, he did not hesitate. When I told him about the group wanting to loan this struggling mother the money, he said, “Why not just give the van to her?” We were in agreement.

And so, we gave our van away.

Perhaps, because, we had also been impacted by Robert Morris’ book, “The Blessed Life”, it made this decision a no-brainer. It was that book that had prompted me, about a year prior to Scott’s accident, to exercise my faith for God to give us a bigger vehicle so we could add a third carseat. Someone ended up giving us their Ford Explorer before our son was born!

“The Blessed Life” tells a story of numerous times he gives away and then receives vehicles. I had seen the vision of Kingdom sowing and reaping principles applied to vehicles, and so it may have played a role somehow in my ability to complete our vehicle exchange cycle so effortlessly.  In addition, over the previous two years, we had also already seen the provision of God’s faithfulness in finances through the workings of our Benevolence account – even though it was still in the two- or three-digit range.

Sometime later, most likely weeks, I received a call from my friend.

“Rachelle. There is another organization here in town, a group of men. They heard what you guys did, giving that van to that mother. They were so touched by your generosity in the midst of your own crisis, they are sending you a $5000 donation!”

 * * *

I believe wholeheartedly when Jesus said, in Luke 6:38,

Give, and it shall be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you,

He meant it. ♥


Rachelle Suzanne | www.SOCKS.team
Servant’s of Christ’s Kingdom Serving 

(Written for 40Dandelions)