Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Giving Army Strong

No gift is too small...


We were having lunch at a fast-food restaurant.  A man came in wearing a US Army uniform.  I had the thought, "I wonder what the proper way to honor him would be. Would I salute? Put my hand over my heart?" I felt ignorant that I did not know what to teach my children.

Suddenly, I had a thought. "Offer to pay for his meal."
I paused and then quickly accepted this as a mission from the Lord.

I tapped on my seven year old son's arm and said, "Let's go buy his meal." I did not have time to explain, so I ushered him to go with me (so he could be a part of the experience).

I interrupted the process of the man counting his change in his hand to give to the cashier. 

"I'd like to buy your meal." I said.

He looked up and replied, "I am only getting a drink."  I felt a little over zealous.

receipt copyI encouraged him to buy more if he'd like.  Then he told the cashier and I that he had already bought his sandwich at another restaurant.

So, we paid $2.00 for his drink.  It was not much. But, I had at least made the effort to show him honor and respect and use the opportunity to demonstrate to my son his authority and importance in our lives.

The man offered to get us some gifts and bring them back.  I told him we did not expect anything in return.

However, after a few minutes, he came back with a bag full of Army goodies.
a few shirts,pens,pencils,etc...
Here is what was in the bag he brought us!!
WAY more than $2.00 worth!
My eleven year old daughter said, "All that for $2.00!"

We continue to be amazed when we see our giving boomerang back to us so quickly and in higher quantities.

Later, my thirteen year old daughter let me know that she had noticed some worker men, sitting near us, taking notice of my comment to buy the man's drink and watched me as I did this.  They too saw the blessing come back to us.  She believed our actions impacted them as well.

We share this as another witness of how simple it can be to give, that you just may receive more back in return, and it can inspire others who may be watching.

Blessed To Be A Blessing