Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Holding Your Donation Hostage UNTIL They Hear...

Have you ever been asked to participate in a fundraiser? 

What if in exchange for your donation, to their cause, you asked them to give you a few minutes to tell them the gospel, your testimony, or how you know God to be real?

We did just that.  

* * *

The kids and I were eating our dinner at Mooyah Burger. 

I just wanted to have an excuse to not cook, so I offered to celebrate our first day at our Homeschool group by eating out. :)  I turned into a busy shopping center, and we voted between Burgers and Chinese. Burgers won.  


Now, I wonder if the Lord had it orchestrated the whole time?

"A man's steps are of the LORD; How then can a man understand his own way?"
Pro 20:24 NKJV

When we walked in the door, we were boldly approached by a college student asking if we could mention their group name, for their fundraiser, when we ordered our meal. Sure. No problem.  The restaurant was not busy - so they needed the help.

This is easy giving. Doesn't require much other than a willing cooperation with a system already set up.

After we started eating, I was watching the students with their sign and box on the table by the door. I felt sorry for the group with their efforts and such little traffic. Been there. Done that.  

I started to recognize this was an opportunity to "be a blessing".  So, I started thinking about how much "blessing" I could give, and what should I give?

Then the idea hit me.  

I really think the idea came straight from the Holy Spirit.

I mentioned it to my children, and they loved it and encouraged me to do it.

When my stomach felt sick, and I started feeling nervous, I knew it was from Him.  The challenge was on.  Would I do it, or would I ignore it?  

Suddenly, I felt the urge to use the restroom.  While I was there, I thought of the passage that says, "Go where I say to go and say what I say to say."

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." Then said I: "Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth." But the LORD said to me: "Do not say, 'I am a youth,' For you shall go to all to whom I send you, And whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, For I am with you to deliver you," says the LORD. Then the LORD put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the LORD said to me: "Behold, I have put My words in your mouth."  Jer 1:5-9 NKJV

I said a quick prayer that the Lord would give me the words, because I don't have a testimony script prepared. I did not want to ramble or have little impact.  

I prayed that my little splash would turn into a big tidal wave.  

I came out and got out my blessing checkbook and timer from my purse.  My eleven year old daughter and I walked over for the show.  My other two children stayed behind to watch.

The idea?

I was going to buy 10 minutes of their time in return for a $50 donation. As I approached them, two of them started to get up to leave.  I knew I could not hesitate.  

"Excuse Me. Do any of you believe in God and Jesus Christ?"


They looked stunned. Finally, one of the girls hands slowly raised up as she said, "I do."

The other three kept their hands down and did not speak.

I kept on, "I feel like the Lord has asked me to do something. If you can give me 10 minutes to tell you why I know God is real, I will write you this check for $50 to your cause."

They looked at me. "We were just leaving, but will you do it if it's just these two?" One of the students gestured towards the girl who believed in Jesus Christ and the other guy who were staying.

No. I could not lose them.  I negotiated.

"How about 5 minutes? Will you give me 5 minutes?"

They said they had to go.

I pressed on, "How about 2 minutes?  I have a timer. Will you give me just 2 minutes of your time for a $50 donation?"

(Side note: That is the equivalent of $1,500.00 an hour!)

They agreed, and I started to write their check first to make sure they knew I was good for the check. I noticed my handwriting was terrible as I was shaking.  When I tried to date the check, my mind went blank.  But I quickly wrote it, tore it out of my checkbook, and held it in my hand.

Then, I opened my mouth and went from birth to present (39 years!) as fast as I could. I was amazed at the things I was bringing up, but rather than questioning what I was saying or why I was saying it... or if I should say it, I just focused on the goal... to try to convince them that if I am that confident God is real, maybe they too should give it a look.  

I talked so fast, and I did not hear the timer go off.  My daughter picked it up and told me the time was up. :)  (None of them probably would have dared to stop me.)  

I handed them my check and told them if they had any questions or needed any prayer, I would be in the restaurant finishing our meal.  They thanked me.  The two left. I remember the one who was trying to leave looked very serious when he said thank you to me.

We went back to our table to sit down.

* * *

When it was time for us to leave, I made small talk with the two remaining, and as I was walking out the door, I turned to thank the young lady for speaking up when I asked who believed in Jesus Christ.

* * *

In short, for a $50 check, I got 4 college students to listen to me talk as fast as I could and tell them my testimony in 2 minutes, tell them God loves them too while looking each of them in the eye, and challenging them to ask the Lord to show Himself to them if He is real.  

What a challenge! What a rush to try to summarize all God is to me in 2 minutes to total strangers! I wish I had recorded it, so I'd know what I said.

But God knows... and they know... and now they get to make a choice... to seek Him themselves or to ignore it.   

They may have thought they got the better end of the deal - $50 in return for 2 minutes to hear a speech. But, I know we got the better deal.  Seeds were planted, and when God waters them and/or when they seek Him, they will find Him. Fruit will abound!

"And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart."
Jer 29:13 NKJV 

* * *

Later, when I questioned if I had donated too much for 2 minutes of their time, my daughter said, "Mom. Their life is priceless!"

I did not plan it, but God prompted me to do it, and I took the risk and did it.  

It hit me when it was all said and done.  It's not up to me to get them to believe He is real, but if I can just get them to question if He is.... I know He will show them.  

Try it.  

  • What's your 2 minute testimony?  
  • How do you know God is real?
  • No cheating. 
  • Don't write any notes or outline. 
  • Don't practice what to say.
  • Set up your video camera or audio recorder, set the timer, and try to convince someone.
  • Then... will you courageously share it on our page? https://www.facebook.com/SOCKS.team/  
  • And... will you courageously share it the next time someone asks you for money?
  • And... one day, will you share it because you just have to tell someone so they too will know what you know to be true?